To the category of additives for rubber belong the ingredients that have important functions in the production phase of the mixture and the transformation of the semi-finished product.
Rubber additives functions
An important group of additives for rubber is represented by the processing auxiliaries. They perform various functions:
- Facilitate the dispersion of the ingredients during mixing
- Make it possible to mix elastomers that are not compatible with each other
- Reduce the tendency of the mixture to adhere to the mixers' cylinders
- Improve extrusion or injection into the mold
Commonly used are hydrocarbon resins, both to improve the workability of the compound and to facilitate the assembly of complex items such as tires or conveyor belts.
Other additives carry out more specific actions, here are some examples:
- Inflating: used in the production of sponge rubber
- Flame retardants: to improve fire resistance or reduce the emission of toxic fumes during combustion
- Magnesium oxide: to eliminate the chlorine released during the vulcanization of some polymers